CalvinJuárez.com

02 December 2008

Vegetarianism?

I don't get it.

But that's beside the point.  I posted 'cause I want to know, If you are a vegetarian, what's your reason?

Also, the word today is
vegetarian /vĕg·ĭ·tĕr'·ē·ən, vĕg·ĕ·, vĕg·ə·/. Easily enough, it's veget + -arian; veget <= vegetable, -arian = suffix meaning "believer or advocate of something". Interesting tid-bit: Although the word has been in use since the 1830's and probably earlier, the Vegetarian Society claims to have created the word (here) "from the latin 'vegetus' meaning 'lively' (which is how these early vegetarians claimed their diet made them feel) in 1847".

1 comment:

  1. D&C 49:18 "And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God."
    If you don't eat meat, aren't you "forbidding" yourself from eating it? I think vegetarianism is a bad idea. I'm not saying it's a sin, but the scripture seems like it might be...

    ReplyDelete